Department Information

Counseling Staff

For the 2023-2024 year, the CAPS professional staff consists of a director, 9 permanent professional clinicians, 1 resident, and 12-24 practicum trainees. Student Health and Counseling also has a case manager (position to be filled) and psychiatric services.  Much of CAPS' ability to provide brief psychotherapy to the student population is due to the presence on our staff of therapists in training.

Post-graduate residents have completed their graduate level coursework in counseling psychology. They are currently accumulating the field experience necessary for licensure as professional mental health practitioners (e.g. marriage and family therapists).

CAPS also serves as a practicum site for students completing their master's degrees in counseling.  CAPS practicum students are enrolled in Humboldt's Counseling Psychology program. Their experience at CAPS is an important component of their master's degree requirements.

Post-graduate residents and practicum therapists work under the supervision of licensed therapists on staff. Our Training Director, Erika Demers, coordinates post-graduate training and supervision. Our Practicum Coordinator, Lisa Turay, coordinates the training and supervision of practicum trainees.


We provide short-term individual, couples, and group psychotherapy and counseling, workshops, crisis services, and assessment/referral services for enrolled Humboldt students.  

Consultation services are also available to Humboldt faculty and staff who are dealing with difficult situations involving students. We are available to help with behavioral and emotional difficulties in- and outside of the classroom. Feel free to use us as a resource.

Please note that short-term therapy is not an appropriate solution for some problems. At times specialized or longer term counseling is indicated. We maintain an up-to-date list of local mental health practioners who indicate an interest in working with the Humboldt community. Please speak with a CAPS therapist for help in finding a community therapist that will provide the best fit for your needs.

How to Get Started


If you are a student interested in participating in counseling, please call 826-3236 or email us at to schedule an initial triage appointment. You will need to provide your Humboldt student ID number to the receptionist to verify your enrollment status. Before your actual appointment you will complete some CAPS start-up forms. These initial forms generally take 20-30 minutes to complete, so please make sure to do the forms well before your actual appointment so that your therapist has time to review them. If you are unsure what kind of appointment to request, see our Appointment Choice Chart.

Faculty & Staff

If you are interested in consulting with one of our providers (e.g., regarding a student in distress or a difficult classroom dynamic, etc.), please call our front desk (826-3236). If available, the on-call therapist will talk with you immediately. Otherwise, the on-call therapist will call you back at her/his earliest opportunity. If interested in scheduling a classroom presentation or workshop on a particular topic, please fill out an Outreach Request Form. Alternatively, you can send an email message for our Outreach Coordinator, Aisha Morton. Either way, Aisha will contact you as soon as possible to discuss your request.

Emergency Numbers

Humboldt Public Safety
(707) 826-5555

CAPS, including after-hours phone support
(707) 826-3236

Humboldt County Mental Health
(707) 268-2900

24-Hour County Crisis Line
(707) 445-7715