Info for DACAmented, Undocumented, and AB540 Students

Services FAQ

The Trump Administration announced on 9/5/17 that the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program will be phased out.  The Department of Homeland Security will provide a limited, six-month window during which it will consider certain requests for DACA and applications for work authorization.  Go to Daca at DHS for information.  For details on this decision and what it means, see the Fact Sheet Regarding Recision of DACA.  HSU stands by our Dreamers: click to see HSU's President's message.  Please know that your health care providers at the Health and Counseling Center at HSU are here for you.  For emotional and psychological support, you have several options for seeking help through Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS): schedule an intake or "Let's Talk" session, come in for a crisis (on call) appointment (as appropriate), or use our drop-in discussion groups for support.

IMPORTANT: If you have DACA and your renewal is due between 9/5 and 3/5, you must submit a renewal application by OCTOBER 5th, 2017.  For more information, see this message from CSU Chancellor White.

Upcoming University Events

9/13/17: Scholars without Borders Open Forum 5 - 6:30 pm at the MCC, 2nd floor

9/28/17: Immigration Forum, 5 - 8 pm, KBR

9/28/17: Free DACA Renewal Legal Help, 5-8:30 pm at Centro Del Pueblo Office in Eureka.  One Justice will be there!

To keep up with the latest news stories:

Check out CNN Politics or Washington Post Politics

Legal Support Services for Northern California:

Legal Services of Northern CaliforniaSacramento(916) 551-2150
  • Application Assistance – Naturalization
California Rural Legal Assistance Foundation Inc.Sacramento
(916) 446-7904
  • Application Assistance - Other Immigration Remedies
  • Application Assistance – Naturalization
  • Education & Outreach
  • Legal Training and Technical Assistance
Opening Doors Inc.Sacramento
(916) 492-2591
  • Application Assistance - Other Immigration Remedies
  • Application Assistance – Naturalization
  • Education & Outreach

Click for a Comprehensive list of Immigration Services Contractors.

Resources from the CSU Chancellor's Office on:

Resources Specific to HSU:

Other Resources we recommend:

HSU: FAQ related to Health and Wellbeing Services 

In order to better serve ALL our students we have built a FAQ for DACA students and undocumented students who might have questions about how to access our resources.

Health Insurance:

Q. Does HSU provide health insurance plans for students, and if so, can a DACA or undocumented student qualify for those plans?

A. Currently HSU does NOT have a student health insurance plan. All matriculated students pay a student health fee that funds the Health and Wellbeing Services. ALL MATRICULATED STUDENTS regardless of documentation status are able to access services and resources provided by the Health and Wellbeing Services (including the Student Health Center, Counseling and Psychological Services and Health Education).

Q. Can a DACA Student sign up for health insurance coverage through Oh SURE?

A. While President Obama unfairly excluded DACA individuals from the Affordable Care Act, meaning DACA individuals cannot apply for insurance through Covered California, DACA individuals who meet the Federal Poverty Level can qualify for Medi-Cal.

What is Medi-Cal: The California Medical Assistance Program (Medi–Cal or MediCal) is California Medicaid welfare program serving low-income individuals, including: families, seniors, persons with disabilities, children in foster care, pregnant women, and childless adults with incomes below 138% of federal poverty level.

Medi-Cal Income Qualifications

Apply Online

Apply at Oh SURE

Q. Can a undocumented or unDACAmented student sign up for health insurance through Oh SURE?

A. According to the Medi-Cal website some undocumented individuals may qualify for Medi-Cal, this is dependent on immigration status and where someone is at in the process of trying to immigrate. However, most undocumented individuals do not qualify for full Medi-Cal Coverage. 

There are some exceptions: All undocumented individuals with incomes below 138% of federal poverty level qualify for emergency and pregnancy-related Medi-Cal services. The application is most effectively done with the hospital or prenatal care provider. We do not recommend signing up through Oh SURE.

Q. How can DACA or undocumented students receive assistance with reproductive health costs?

A. DACA Students and undocumented students may qualify for the Family PACT Program (AKA the Teal Card)

What is Family PACT: Family PACT is California’s innovative approach to provide comprehensive family planning services to low-income women and men. The goals of this health program are to promote optimal reproductive health and to reduce unplanned pregnancy by lowering the barriers that many women and men with unmet need face in obtaining family planning services. The program fills a critical gap in healthcare for underinsured and uninsured Californians.

Family Pact Qualifications

Apply at Oh SURE 

Food Assistance:

Q. Can DACA or undocumented students access the Oh SNAP food pantry?

A. Yes, all matriculated students are able to access the resources provided by Oh SNAP Student Food Programs. Including: non-perishable food items once a week, weekly cooking classes, nutrition education, gardening classes, and a fresh produce stand in the Fall Semester. 

Q. Can DACA or undocumented students apply for CalFresh Benefits through Oh SNAP?

A. While we will not turn away anyone who wishes to apply for CalFresh, current Calfresh regulations explicitly prohibit DACA and undocumented students. We do not encourage those students to apply for Calfresh. However, we can work with students to find other resources.  


Q: Can DACA or undocumented students use Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)?

A: Yes, absolutely.  You are welcome here.

Q: Are CAPS records confidential?

A: Yes, we maintain our own records and adhere to strict privacy and confidentiality policies.  Neither university administration nor government agencies have access to your mental health records.